Saturday, January 24, 2009

the perfect combination

It was my birthday a few days ago. Allison always makes the birthday cakes around here, and during the days leading up to my birthday, I was nervous that for some reason she wasn't making me one since she hadn't asked me for requests. I should have known that Allison didn't need my input to think of the cake of my dreams. She, Harley, Hannah, and Debbie teamed up to make this:


Allison said she was trying to think of a way she could make me a milkshake cake. I'd say she succeeded: three layers of chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream in between and banana oreo frosting on top.


I think chocolate banana oreo milkshakes are my favorite. I made one the other night. It was so good. It's the best combination -- it's what I get in blizzards and any other kind of ice cream with stuff mixed in.

I generally make my milkshakes at night, as a dessert or bedtime snack -- I drink them solo, not as part of meal. When I go to a diner, of course, I'll get a milkshake with my meal, which is generally a cheeseburger and fries. Most people think of a milkshake and a burger as the perfect pair. I think they go together all right, although when I consume them in one meal it usually makes my tummy hurt . . . but I think I prefer drinking my milkshake with just french fries. The salty and the sweet together, and the dipping -- it's the best.

I'm curious what other people think of as the best food partner for a milkshake. My dad refuses to drink a milkshake with a burger. They just don't go together. According to my dad, the perfect food partner for a milkshake is an egg salad sandwich on white bread. And the milkshake should be a chocolate malted. I've never tried it, but he swears by it.


MMMMMMMM CAKE

No comments:

Post a Comment