Friday, January 9, 2009

teenage mutant ninja milkshakes


Chocolate ice cream and milk and ninja turtles.

So, like I said, I'm in Boston now. And I've heard, that in this part of the country, what I refer to as a "milkshake" is known as a "frappe." That if I were to order a "milkshake" at a restaurant, I would be ordering a cup of milk mixed with a flavor, like chocolate syrup or something. At least, that's what Debbie told me. And she's pretty much an authority in my mind. I'm going to look into it, though. I haven't ordered any milkshakes or frappes yet -- although I do remember when I was here last time, the menu at Mr. Bartley's said "frappes." I got a chocolate banana one and it was REALLY good. We should probably go back there very soon.

But the point is, in other parts of the country, like the South and the Midwest, we call 'em milkshakes. And we call milk and chocolate syrup "chocolate milk." So I'm a little skeptical, New England.

2 comments:

  1. IT'S TRUE CAITLYN. FRAPPE.


    olde tyme new england. how quaint, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean I know of three restaurants where it is definitely frappe. Mr. Bartley's being one, the chain "Friendly's" being another, and Shin La, a korean restaurant in Brattleboro, being the third. Otherwise my experience is that the two words are understood to mean the same thing.

    I'm also thinking of a certain milkshake from a certain chocolate bus that changed my life. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete